When we study the Scriptures it is hard to escape the clear testimony that everything is God’s (Deut 10:14; Psalm 24:1). And that anything we possess is not really ours but something that God has entrusted to us to manage and invest.
The Lord owns the earth and all it contains,
the world and all who live in it.
When we read the parable of the talents (Matt 25:14-30) we are presented with how God has chosen to invest His possessions.
- the master has entrusted his possessions to his own (25:14)
- the master has not distributed his possessions equally, but according to the ability of each person (25:15)
- we are responsible for how we manage and invest what we are given
- the master will come and settle accounts with each of us (25:19)
- the master will evaluate how each of us has invested what we were given
After reading this parable we might start to ask some questions.
What has the Lord entrusted to me?
In a nutshell, everything you have. Your life. Your family and friends. Your talents and abilities. Your possessions. Your opportunities to work and serve. Often this is said to be our time, talent, and treasure.
How am I doing managing and investing what the Lord has entrusted to me? Continue reading